Sunday, February 22, 2015

Love Ya Daddy-o!

On January 27th my life changed pretty dramatically.  After I got home from a basketball game and a team dinner my husband told me that my mom had called and my dad had died.  I didn't believe him!  I had talked to my mom on Monday and she said dad had gone to the doctor, had a UTI and was on antibiotics.  She and dad had been at the farm house discussing their new kitchen.  It couldn't be real.  But it was, my dad was with Jesus and I was 8 hours away!

We packed up and headed to NE the next morning and Ryan didn't even have me drive.  We got home and met with the Pastor & funeral guy that evening.  It still didn't seem real.  It just felt like dad was at work and would be returning home.

Thursday we picked out his casket, planned for his funeral, and again, it didn't seem real.

Friday night at the viewing it became real--walking into the funeral home and seeing him, as we often saw him, "sleeping" in his casket is something I wasn't prepared for.  The rush of sadness was crazy overwhelming and I stood there wrapped in the arms of my husband, brother, and mom wishing I was anywhere else.

We had requested that memorials be sent to the fire station in lieu of flowers.  We were shocked at how many flowers there were despite this request!


We had dad's coat on display and used his helmet on his casket spread instead of flowers.  Dad wasn't a flowery guy, but the greenery with his helmet were perfect.  Dad loved to be outside working at the farm and loved serving as a fireman.

On Saturday we headed to the church for the funeral at 9:30 AM.  I thought I'd be okay, the worst had to be yesterday, right?  Nope.  I was setting up a slide show on the projector, turned around and saw my grandma and lost it.

The funeral was done very well and the Pastor did a great job of pointing to Jesus during his sermon.  Since my dad was active in the local volunteer fire department the firemen, from THREE departments, were present and standing at attention while dad was carried out of the church.

SIX fire trucks lead the processional from the church to the cemetery.  It was pretty neat.


At the cemetery the firemen again stood at attention while the pallbearers--firemen in their coats--took dad to his final resting place.


I took this picture after the graveside service had ended.  Maybe it's weird to some, but I knew that if I didn't take pictures I would never have the opportunity to take them again, so I did.  I could hear my dad grumbling as I took it--he wasn't big on getting his picture taken, but he entertained me often and let me take selfies with him, or would pose with me if I asked.  Often with a grumbled look on his face.  :)


Here are some of my favorites of us!







My dad was pretty great!  I have many memories of him that will last a lifetime.  I'm so glad he got to walk me down the aisle.  My husband is a lot like my dad--they are both measure twice, cut once kind of guys.  My mom, brother and I tend to be measure, cut, and make it work kind of people. :)

I remember him taking me to Wal-Mart one weekend because I really wanted to go shopping and my mom was working.  I whined all weekend I think, and finally on Sunday, later than he probably should have, he took me to Wal-Mart.  I don't even know if we bought anything, but he took me.

He built me the most amazing lofts when I was in college for me and my roommate.  We had enough room to stand under them and the ladders were removable so that we had a whole living area in our room.  We only used them one year, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were still around at CUNE!

And this Christmas, for probably the first time ever, he smiled at his Christmas gift and smiled when he opened it.  Most of the time he would tell us that we didn't need to get him anything.

My dad would give you the shirt off your back if you asked.  I remember one time he picked up a hitchhiker when we were on our way home from town.  My mom chewed his butt because we were with him, but he said he knew the guy.  I still am not sure if he really knew the guy or just knew of him or what.  But the fact was, the guy needed a ride, so dad gave him one.

We saw just how many lives my dad touched at the viewing and the funeral.  I'm pretty sure there were 180 plus present at both.

I love you daddy-o, and hope you are enjoying all the midnight snacks you want in heaven!  ;)  I miss you!

This is the song I found to play in the background of the slid show.  I've heard it one other time since dad's funeral and lost it all over again.  How great it is to know that because of Jesus we will be together again with no pain or sorrow!


3 comments:

Kristen @ Joyfully Thriving said...

Oh, Sarah. My heart goes out to you and our family! There are no words, only prayers that God will sustain you through the difficult times ahead.

Unknown said...

Sarah,
Very nice post. I am glad I got to meet your dad. I am also glad I was able to see him at your wedding. My prayers remain with all of you.

Jeff

Unknown said...

I'm not sure how I came across this, Sarah, but I'm glad I did. Nicely done. And no question about it: your dad was a jewel hidden in an oyster's shell. Think about you often.