Sunday, July 24, 2011

Skirt to Apron

So I got this great skirt at the thrift store a few months ago.  I loved it.  The only problem was that it was a bit snug...I thought, meh, for $2, I'm going to get it and maybe it'll fit by the time school starts.

 
I also have been looking for a really cute apron.  We have two aprons here--one from iHOP and one that my mom made Ryan out of snowman material that says "Kiss the Cook" on it.  I wear the iHop one more because it's a bit thicker but it's not cute.  (Because being cute when cooking is important?)
  So I was talking with my mom about maybe making it into an apron.  Well, Thursday I decided to try it.

After cutting it in half I used a plate to trace some scallops.

Good help is hard to find!

I made a few mistakes along the way, but I made it work.  My biggest mistake was when I cut the top I forgot to leave an extra inch all around so that I could hem it properly.  But I fixed it.  I aided 4 inch black ribbon to the parts where I didn't allow the extra fabric and then hemmed that.  I think it turned out pretty darn good.

You can't really see the black ribbon in the photo, but it's there (and not too pretty), but it looks alright for being in the kitchen.  I also had NO idea how I was going to hem the scallops, so I didn't hem them. {GASP!}
I did put a stitch all the way around the bottom and then use pinking shears along the bottom.  Hopefully that will hold until I go home in September and can ask madre' to help me out.  



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cute! You could just put Fray Check on the scallops- I saw that on a tutorial for scalloped cut-offs...
Pam