Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Chicago...or...Colorado


Okay, I understand that Chicago is a city and that Colorado is a state, but for the sake of this blog...that's the comparison.




So, Chicago:
1. Large, stable school
2. Supportive Pastors and Principal
3. Conservative/Traditional Church
4. Nice Salary
5. Four Preps for an Eight block day with TWO free periods
6. Extremely Nice people
7. 45 minutes from Chicago
8. Lake Michigan

Colorado
1. Not so large, stable school
2. Awkward, transitioning church
3. Salary is getting better
4. All subjects all day
5. 20 minutes from Mountains, 20 minutes from Doowntown
6. Nice people and friends
7. Rocky Mountains
8. Skiing
9. Hiking
10. Climbing (which I want to start doing...)

I really wanted to Chicago to be not nice or exciting or anything. Well the school was great. So great that I'm taking bids from contractors to help transplant it to Denver! The city of Naperville was not someplace I could see myself living. I kind of reminded me of Wysteria Lane from Desperate Housewives--big houses, white picket fences, parading the money, you know. It was also very midwestern...like driving though Eldorado Hills and the newer areas in Norfolk, Nebraska (a reference only my grandmother will understand). The school kind of reminded me of the elementary school in which I attended. They're nice sized classrooms with nice counters, you know. Newer.

The thing that I want is for God to show me where he wants to use me. Does He want me at Emmaus where the ministry is teaching students who only hear about Jesus in school and who are from broken home with unique situations? Or does He want me training future leaders in the church--"natual born Lutherans" if you will? I don't know. I'm praying...alot. I appreciate any other prayers.

I'm leaving civilization tomorrow to head to the homestead. Internet and cell phone usage will be minimal. :)

Hope you're all having a great Tuesday...my love to all of you!





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When you get back we will get a coffee and shlep over these questions. My thoughts....I love having you here in Denver and would miss you so much! I know you love working with disadvantaged kids, and you are such a blessing to them. And you love skiing more than anyone I know. On the Chicago side - you are still young, and there will be plenty of time to "settle down" in a state. If Chicago seems like a new fun adventure, then now is the time! (everyone should live in different cities for awhile). On the job side, I know you are worried about your job in Denver BEING here next year, and Chicago can offer you a more steady, less stressful time. And you, my wonderful friend, will make friends WHEREVER you go! So...I would say that Chicago looks a little better, but Denver has you close....so I'm not sure. Bet that helped!