Monday, May 30, 2011

New Years Resolution...CHECK!

So in January I made about 15 different resolutions for the year 2011.  One of those resolutions was to "run" [participate] in a 5k this year.  I was telling Hannie this on the phone one day and she told me that she too was "picking up running".  She had joined a running club and was going to run a 5k as well.  I then told her how I had always wanted to participate in the Bolder Boulder, to which she responded, Let's do it!  So in January we agreed to do it.  

I "trained" pretty well from January to about April.  I routinely went to the gym and used the treadmill, slowly increasing the amount of time I was "running" [jogging?].  Then April hit and chaos of the end of the year erupted all around me.  I stopped going to the gym, but continued to walk 2 miles Monday through Friday with Peggy before school every morning.  

Two weeks ago when Hannah and I registered for the Bolder Boulder we were discussing what wave to be in.  I had my doubts about my ability to actually do this, but the plane ticket was bought & I had agreed.  We registered in the Walk/Jog--mostly walking category.  We felt that would be a safe place for us. 

Today we went to Boulder. Our start time was 9:15 AM.  We left Aurora around 7 AM to ensure we didn't miss our start time.  Our friend, Susie, who lives in Colorado Springs, also joined us, as did Ryan's sister.  I still couldn't believe that I was really about to do this.  10k is 6.21 miles!!!!  That's going to take at least 90 minutes!  And it was in Boulder--not exactly the flatlands of Nebraska!  The summit of the race was five thousand, three hundred, and some odd feet. There were 2 hills...the last one into the stadium for the last, maybe 300-400 meters of the race!  It was a looooooooooooong race!

I had decided that I was going to finish it in 90 minutes.  So 90 minutes divided by 10k means completing a kilometer every 9 minutes.  I started my timer as soon as we crossed the start line.  Every time I would see a sign ahead, I would check my watch.  I ran some, I jogged some, I walked most of it (after all, I registered to participate in the mostly walking heat).  Here's my results...1 hour, 30 minutes, and 31 seconds.  I'd say my pace was right on target for what I wanted to accomplish!


Here are some pictures from the day.  Ryan took them.  He never saw Susie, Lyssa, or I at the hill/finish line, but he did get a picture of Hannie at the end.  He did a good job of documenting the crazy costumes and the masses of people there.  These are just a few of the ones he took.
Susie, Hannie, Me, & Lyssa after the race.

Ruth B Top Girls--Susie, Hannie & I

Finished!

The Finish Line

Lego-Man, there were costumes every where!

The last hill.

1 comment:

Colleen Oakes said...

Hooray, hooray for you! I'm so proud!