Monday, April 27, 2009

Ryan's Baptism

About 12 weeks ago Ryan and I started going to a class at church called, Didache. This class went through the six chief parts of the catechism and other various parts of Lutheranism. I started calling the class Lutheranism 101.

Well, last week was our last class and on Sunday Ryan was baptized and confirmed!! After Thursday's class Ryan asked me to pick out his confirmation verse because Pastor had told us that he (Pastor) would pick out one or they could pick their own. We went to Starbucks and started sifting throught the Bible to find a good verse.

In the end Ryan picked Ephesians 2:4-5, "But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved." I was very impressed with his choice. (Secretly--though it won't be secret after he reads this--I wanted him to pick Ephesians 2:8-9, he started reading all of chapter 2 and liked the beginning.)

After church we had a small party at my house that included sandwiches, macaroni salad, bean salad, veggies, chips, queso, and cake. The rain held off long enough for us to socialize outside (since there's not alot of room in my house). It was a great day.

(So sorry, the pictures uploaded backwards and I don't want to mess with changing them around.)

Ryan, me, and Amy
The Books and Ryan


RJ, Megan & Matt, Paul and Sandy


Ryan's dad, Earl, his friend, Jason and his sister, Alyssa


Being confirmed with other members of Didache


Being baptized


Ryan at the beginning of the baptism service

6 comments:

Michael Hanel said...

As the Italians say (but w less shady music in the background), Welcome to the Family!

Anonymous said...

I got a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes when I saw the one of him being baptized, how awesome...God does work in mysterious ways.
Aunt Donna

Colleen Oakes said...

AMAZING! I'm so sorry that we could not be there because of our own confirmation Sunday, but tell Ryan that we are SO happy to have him as our brother in Christ. I cried when I saw this! Its so amazing!

Colleen Oakes said...

Okay, I want to see a Vegas blog....a camping blog...

Anonymous said...

ehh... good post )

Anonymous said...

а все таки: благодарю. а82ч