Monday, June 24, 2013

Cruisin'

The second full day we were in Hawaii we were scheduled for a sunset cruise on the South side of the island.  We had to be at Captain Andy's at 3 PM, which mean leaving our condo around 1:30 PM.

We bummed around at the condo all morning and truly enjoyed relaxing.  After getting ready we packed up and headed down south.

Our cruise would be taking us along the Na Pali Coast.  Taking a cruise was the best option to see the Na Pali Coast for us.  Other options included hiking in and taking a helicopter ride.  So a nice sunset cruise seemed like a good plan.

When we got on the cruise I was a bit perturbed because they kept saying "You will get wet on this trip." I did not sign up to get wet.  I was wearing a cute maxi dress I had bought specifically for the cruise.  I had bought Ryan and polo that complimented my dress nicely and I had high hopes of beautiful pictures of us as the sun was setting.  Getting wet was not an option!

Well as it turns out, taking beautiful pictures of Ryan and I wasn't an option either...here's the only picture of Ryan I got.


And I have none of me on the cruise.  I think Colleen has a few, but she hasn't sent them to me yet.  Why you ask? Well, let me tell you...

We set out along the coast for about two hours.  The wind was blowing in our hair and getting wet was minimum.  At the end of our two hours, the waters got extremely choppy.  I was a bit worried about Ryan before getting on the boat because it seems that if there is one bee in a room of 10,000 people it will sting him.  He seemed to be doing okay, but as the water got more choppy he got more green.  The water finally calmed down a bit and the boat began to turn and they put the sails up.

The plan was to sail for a bit while dinner was served and then head back to where we started.  Well, during the turning we all took turns going to the restroom, down below, where it was REALLY rocky.  I felt like a drunk trying to use the restroom and I had only had one drink...TWO HOURS AGO.  I came up and Ryan wasn't down there waiting for me.  He was at the rail of the back of the boat.  He had gotten really nauseous and needed some more air.

Colleen and Ryan were also feeling icky.  They all were a little green.  Dinner came around and my Ryan declined it because he wasn't sure he could keep it do  What I ate was pretty good.

It rained a bit while we were out and about, and we saw a beautiful rainbow.  At one point we were "under" the rainbow.  It was pretty cool.

After the rain we were joined by a doctor and a nurse.  Whilst carrying on a conversation with them Ryan O. kindly asked me to get him a puke-bag.  A few moments later my Ryan, more urgently and not as kindly requested a puke-bag too.

So as the sunset my poor husband was tossing his cookies and missing it.  I tried to take photos and take care of him at the same time.  Ryan O. recovered quicker so I passed the camera to Colleen so she could take more pictures of the sunset.




It was truly beautiful and I felt the cruise was well worth it.  The others didn't quite have the same joy I had.

We returned to the dock and Ryan was quite happy to see solid land.  I assured him that should we ever take the cruise I really want to go on with him someday it wouldn't be the same...bigger boat...we'd plan accordingly...please don't hate the water...etc.

I had asked the crew, who by the way was amazing at caring for the seasick people, four people on our side of the boat had less than awesome sunsets, if we could get Ryan's food to take with us.  Since we had paid for dinner, I wanted him to be able to enjoy it, and he's good about eating leftovers.  I had also asked them to please put what was left of my meal in with his.  Well somehow we ended up with two complete steak and shrimp dinners.  Ryan enjoyed a steak dinner the next two nights.

So that is why there are no pictures of me from this event in this blog.  And that is why our Christmas card photo for this year will not be me in a cute, bright pink maxi dress and Ryan in a fabulous lime green polo on a boat as the sun sets...


************************

Edit:  Colleen informed me about a picture she took of Ryan and I!

And she had this one of her and I.


No comments: