Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Thoughts...

...So I know you just got a post of pictures, so how about a real post.

I'm sitting in Atlanta Bread working on my Instructional Plan Final Project for my class. I've known about this huge project for about five weeks but did not do anything about it until today. It's due on Sunday. One reason I have been procrastinating the project is that it requires me to write three, one-hour long lesson plans using three different forms of technology. Well for those of you who aren't educators, taking time to write a lesson plan that detailed is annoying. My weekly lesson plans (which I forgot to turn in this morning) involve things like the following:

Math- L 31, L 32, L 33
Read- pg. 228-229, ques 1-4, chapter 3 & questions
History- Ch 9, sec 1, MI, N-T, UG
Sci- SQRRR
Spell- WB 199-200, WB 201-202

Nothing to it, can be done Monday morning an hour before they need to be turned in (okay not exactly an hour...) But these three lesson plans are what I call the TSWBAT lesson plans. (The student will be able to...) These kind of plans include writing objectives, writing out basically what you are going to say, writing an assessment, blah, blah, blah.

Anyway, I decided that if I was going to do that much work I was going to make sure that these three lesson plans were A.) Something I could use in my classroom and B.) Were something beyond my "mundane" lesson plans. With those two objectives in mind I was having trouble coming up with an idea. Then it hit me! And now I'm excited!

I don't really teach much on Fridays, we do current events, go to the library, take tests, ect. on Fridays. I've been thinking for a while that I should make Fridays into a day of health and wellness. Teach soley health topics and do PE activites. Well that was the inspiration for my lesson plans. I only have one done (hense the need for a blog-break) and I think it's pretty okay.


Healthy Living
Created by Sarah Wright
University of Phoenix

ID #: 18245

Subject Area: Other
Grade Level: 5

Lesson Summary
This lesson will focus on health and wellness and use a variety of methods to examine student understanding of health and wellness.


Learning Objectives and Computer Functions
This lesson plan uses 2 objectives.

Objective 1: The students will be able to read a nutrition label and record the serving size, calories, calories from fat, fat and sugars present in the food.

Objective 2: The students will be able to create a database of thirty foods and their nutritional information.


Problem
Problem Nature
Super-Sizing America--Knowing the Value of Good Nutrition.

Problem Data
located

Notes on Using Data
Students can work in groups to locate nutrition labels and information. Each student must provide equal contributions to the search.

Problem Statement
We will investigate the nutritional information of various foods. We are going to collect information about four specific areas of nutrition and create a database of the information.


Data Manipulation
Instructions
The learner used computers at beginner level

Integration Strategies
Begin by showing students a completed Access report. Walk students through setting up the database.

Organization Strategies
Have students move through one food group at a time so that they will not be overwhelmed with numbers.

Elaboration Strategies
Have students use some of their favorite foods and evaluate the nutritional value that these foods provide them.


Results Presentation
Students will print out their final reports to be graded according to a rubric. Database reports will include food name, serving size, calories, calories from fat, fat, and sugars.


Activities
Activities Before Using the Computer

Students will collect their own nutrition labels. Students will complete a chart of data to be entered into the computer.

Bottom of Form

Strategies to develop students' attitudes towards the problem, motivation, and overall mindfulness:
Because the use of Access will be somewhat new, students will be walked through how to set up the database. They will be given time to explore the application before they begin to actually use it for their project.

Activities While Using the Computer
Students will work at the computer indiv

Group Information:

Activities After Using the Computer
Students will assemble their reports and create a cover page for the reports.


Aren't you excited now that you've read all that?!?!? I know I would be. I am really excited to go home and talk with Amy about it and bounce ideas off of her about what I can do for my other two plans. I'm thinking something on the way our body uses fat and calories and building healthy recipes for living.


3 comments:

hannah said...

You could also have them use the internet to google healthy recipes and use them to plan a week of meals as well as perhaps cooking a healthy meal?

Colleen Oakes said...

Wow. You are a smarty. Maybe have the students go into their own kitchens and find something healthy and unhealthy based on calories, etc.

Anonymous said...

Lovies.
Wow! Great plan! I also like these gals comments. I like your whole plan because creating an awareness of healthy foods helps prevent many other physical issues.
Love U Up 2 God,
Gram
P.S. Nice picture of you and Ryan