Saturday, August 26, 2006

The First Week of School

So it's official. Summer is over, school has begun. :( This realization hit me Tuesday night as I tried to go to bed at 9:30ish. By 11:30 after Everybody Loves Raymond, Will and Grace, and Sex in the City I was beginning to give up hope of falling asleep at an hour reasonable for one who gets up at 5:30! I decided that I simply couldn't let Friends ruin my sleep so I needed to shut the T.V. off! (I had already turned it back on after two sleep timers were set because I was still wide awake!) Apparently that worked. And I woke up the next morning for school.

It's also more true today as it is freezing here! (okay not technically--but cold enough that I pulled out a few winter clothes).

So since I've been at Emmaus we have had devotions M-T-TH-F at 7:15am. This year our principal changed them to 7:25 because he has to take his daughter to school first. Now my first thought was YES! TEN MORE MINUTES TO SLEEP!!!!! But, I decided that I would pretend I still needed to be to school by 7:15 so that I would not be late (I'm late alot in the mornings). This was a big decision for me as mornings and I are like oil and water. So I get to school at 7:00 only to realize that even when I'm early...I'm still late. I've got nothing on the vertern teachers, both were there at 6:30!! And the two substitutes we have were there at 6:45! I give up! Maybe I will take the extra ten minutes.

I have a wonderful class of nine quiet, calm children. (So far). This is wonderful as the past two years I had the classes that everyone talks about. You know the ones (I must sadly say my class was one of these, I remember in third grade Mrs. Collins told us something like, You know, all the teachers things you guys are the bad class.). So I am enjoying that they just sit quietly and work hard! And for the first time I have a fairly even class of boys and girl...four girls, five boys. No longer are the boys dominating the population of classrooms.

Last night I went out with Ryan and Colleen Oakes. It was a blast. We went downtown for supper and talked forever! I'm so happy they are in Denver. Slowly my friends are moving this direction! It's great.

Well, I'm off to supper at Elaine and Barbs with a couple other teachers. These nice ladies from church are feeding us tonight. Tomorrow it's off to North Platte to trade the Malibu for the Trailblazer. My car can't wait for the TLC that only Dad can give it during repairs!

I'll post a picture of my class tonight--I left the camera at school.

Oh...and for those of you wondering, Batman was born on Tuesday at 10:08am. He weighed 8 lbs 12 oz, and by Wednesday night had a real name: Dillion James.

No comments: